top of page

Group

Public·68 members

The ARRL Antenna Book

The ARRL Antenna Book for Radio Communications is a single resource covering antenna theory, design and construction, and practical treatments and projects. This book contains everything you need to understand how radio signals propagate, how antennas work, and how to construct your own antenna system. Use the ARRL Antenna Book to build hundreds of antenna designs: dipoles, verticals, loops, beams, and more.

The ARRL antenna book

Since the first edition in September 1939, radio amateurs and professional engineers have turned to The ARRL Antenna Book as THE source of current antenna theory and a wealth of practical how-to construction projects. Use this book to discover even the most basic antenna designs-- wire and loop antennas, verticals, and Yagis--and for advanced antenna theory and applications. Many of the antennas in this edition benefit directly from advances in sophisticated computer modeling.

Very often the wire available for an antenna will be wire intended for home electrical systems. This will is usually insulated which raises the question "should we strip off the insulation?" I took a very general look at this question using both experimental measurements and CAD modeling. Here are my observations: Download Insulated Wire and Antennas .

The March 2015 QST article on a loop receiving antenna by DK6ED set me to thinking about a much larger version for 2200m and up. In the process of scaling the antenna to my needs I realized that there several different operating modes (patterns) were possible which might be helpful in some situations. The different patterns could be implemented with some simple switching in the shack. I built that antenna and wrote an article published in Sept/Oct 2016 QEX: Download Sept-Oct 2016 QEX article .

Over the years I've had a continuing interest in vertical antennas and the many small details of how they work. Most of the time the minutia are not of great practical importance but for those of us interested in more than casual explanations they can be very interesting. Here is a two part QEX article on just such a detail, how the radiation resistance (Rr) and the equivalent ground loss resistance (Rg) behave as the antenna dimensions and soil characteristics are varied: Download QEX Jul-Aug 2015 Download QEX sept-oct 2015 . As mentioned in a earlier post, I can't put all the supporting details in a single article, it would become unreadable so I've put the supporting material into a series of appendices which you can pick through if you're interested:

Download QEX short verticals for 160m Often it's not possible to erect a full 1/4-wave vertical, especially on 160m or even more so at 600m. It appears that we will be getting a 600m band 472-479 kHz where the wavelengths is about 2000'. That makes the antennas a serious challenge. I've written the following article on verticals with heights between 0.05 and 0.125 wavelengths. The modeling was done at 1.83 MHz but most of the discussion uses dimensions in wavelengths and is applicable at any frequency including 600m. The discussion illustrates how critical the height of a vertical is and the absolute need to use some form of capactive top-loading if any reasonable efficiency is to be achieved. The article focuses on the mult-wire umbrella type of top-loading but also discusses the critical issues relating to ground systems and conductor loss. As I always try to do, the article includes some experimental confirmation of the NEC modeling results.

Last year I posted results from a series of experiments on ground systems for vertical antennas. That series of reports was converted with some modifications into a series of seven articles in QEX magazine. The ARRL has kindly given me permission to post .pdf files of these seven articles for those who do not have access to QEX. Here they are: 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...
bottom of page